03 May Leading Customers to Your Online Sales Funnel
You have an incredible website. It has top of the sales funnel offers, CTAs, effective landing pages, and navigation that even a toddler could use. But, one thing is still missing: leads. No one is actually entering your online sales funnel.
It’s frustrating to spend all of that time building a website only to realize that no one is actually making it to the site.
No traffic = no leads = no sales.
You already knew that, though.
The bigger question is how do you increase the traffic and get leads into your online sales funnel.
Search Engine Optimization
Just because you have a great looking website doesn’t mean it’s fully optimized. Search engine optimization (SEO) helps search engines determine how the information on a website might be useful for users.
Without SEO, you aren’t going to rank very high on search engines. People probably won’t find your site unless they search for anything other than your business’s name. And, if they aren’t finding your site, then they definitely aren’t entering your online sales funnel.
There are several different tactics you can take to really step up your SEO game, but one of the more important ones is knowing, using and understanding keywords.
What are keywords? These are the words people use to find websites.
So, your first step is to identify and understand those keywords. When you know what these words are, you can start plugging them into your website content, but first a few words of advice:
- Avoid keyword stuffing: A few years back, there was an SEO strategy called, “keyword stuffing.” This was the practice of placing the keyword on a page as many times as possible in hope of climbing the ranks on search results. Engines, like Google, wised up and actually punish site that do this by lowering their ranking.
- Avoid bad content: With keywords in hand, you might be tempted to just write whatever pops into your head and add the keywords in. Google doesn’t like that either. With near human reading capabilities, Google ranks quality content higher, so use those keywords in great content that is applicable to your business.
Blog posts accomplish two main things: 1) they add to your SEO strategy by boosting your rankings for certain keywords, and 2) they help drive traffic to your site.
When it comes to blog posts and SEO, you can use the keywords you researched to create blog posts. You’re an expert in your industry with plenty of great insight and knowledge that consumers are looking for. By sharing that industry knowledge you can boost your site’s rankings on search engines.
Blog posts also help drive traffic to your website by showing up in search results and providing you with content to share in email newsletters, sales emails, and on social media. The content in your blog posts will help establish you as an industry thought leader and an expert consumers can turn to.
What are you offering your website traffic? Is your website a homepage, about page, service page, and contact us page? If that’s all there is, then there isn’t much motivation to fill out the contact page.
By creating an offer, you can lead customers to your online sales funnel. How? In exchange for your top of the sales funnel offer, users will give you their contact information.
From there, you can do a number of things:
- Start them on a drip campaign
- Pick up the phone a call them
- Send them a follow up email
Offers are a great way to attract traffic to your site. You can share them on social media, optimize landing pages with offers for search results, and use paid advertising campaigns to increase traffic.
Speaking of paid advertising, if you’re having trouble leading customers to your online sales funnel, one way to increase traffic is through paid advertising. Pay-per-click ads allow you to target specific keywords and pay to be at the top of search results.
If you’ve created an offer and placed it on a landing page, then using an advertising campaign to drive traffic to that page will increase the traffic to your online sales funnel.
While it sounds simple, there’s still a lot that goes into a paid advertising plan:
- Keywords: The first step for any paid ad campaign is determining the right keywords. You’ve already done some SEO homework, so this part shouldn’t be too difficult. Select your most important keywords that you want users to find you with.
- Campaign length: You’ll need to determine how long you want the campaign to last. Maybe it’s a week, but it could be a few months. You’ll need to test and retest the words and strategy, so a shorter campaign might be a better option.
- Campaign cost: It’s not called paid advertising for no reason. You need to decide how much money you want to devote to your campaign. Remember, if you’re just starting out, it’s better to not devote too much money while you’re testing.
- Landing page: You need somewhere to send the people seeing your ad and it shouldn’t be your homepage. A landing page is a focused web page that is specific to the ad the user just clicked on. There needs to be some sort of flow from ad to landing page.
- Offer: You need an offer on that landing page. By providing a top of the sales funnel offer on your landing page, you can start nurturing leads.
Social Media Marketing
You’ve already got the Internet marketing basics down, which means your business is already on social media. But, how are you using social media?
Are you driving traffic to your site by sharing content updates and offers? Social media marketing is a great opportunity to lead users to your online sales funnel.
If you have a large following on social media, then you need to use that to your advantage. Share your blog posts and top of the funnel offers with them. Even if they aren’t interested, someone they are connected to on social media may see it and be interested.
If you don’t have a large following, social media can still be extremely beneficial. How so? By boosting posts on Facebook, sponsoring images on Instagram, and promoting tweets on Twitter. You can reach your current followers and new followers who might not have heard of you before.
The goal of social media marketing is to gain brand exposure and drive traffic to the top of your online sales funnel.
Filling your online sales funnel
Your beautiful website can easily be your best marketing tool, if you equip it the right way. With an inbound marketing strategy, you can start increasing website traffic and filling the top level of your sales funnel.
Are you having trouble driving traffic to your site? Ready to build a website that brings in lead after lead after lead? You need a website design strategy to help you define your goals and build a website that goes to work for you.