10 May How To Blog: 5 Writing Tools We Use When Blogging
Writing content for your blog posts can be difficult. From not knowing how to blog to not having the time to sit down and do it, it’s easy to find an excuse.
The truth is, blogging is vital to the success of your overall digital marketing strategy. It supports a number of things:
- Search engine optimization
- Nurturing leads
- Establishing you as a thought-leader
- Keeping you updated about industry news and advances
- Fostering discussions
We could go on and on, but you get the point: blogging is great for your business.
Knowing how to blog shouldn’t be a hurdle for you and your business. With these 5 tools, you’ll have everything you need.
Every blog post needs a focus, otherwise, it’s not worth reading or writing. And, since your blogs help your search engine optimization efforts, it makes sense to use keywords. We start out every blog post with a single, focused keyword.
What are keywords?
Keywords are the words or terms that search engines use to help Internet users find the information they are looking for.
As a business, keywords are what help your site climb higher and higher in search engine results. By writing blog posts around certain keywords, you can gain a higher ranking, which will help increase your web traffic.
How to blog with keywords
Use keywords to create unique and quality content. With a focused topic based on a researched keyword, your blog can help you climb in google rankings.
Even with keywords and topics in mind, coming up with the content can be difficult. Before you sit down and actually write out the content, you might need some inspiration or more ideas on what to write about.
Search Engines, like Google, are great for researching topics and learning more about your industry. You can look at competitors’ websites and blogs to see what they’re doing (but don’t copy their content. That’s a big no-no).
If you sell hot sauce, then you could use search engines to find interesting information and stories on hot sauce. If you want to write a post about 10 everyday uses for hot sauce, but you only 7, then you can search the Internet for an additional 3 uses to include in your post. Just remember to keep the content original (that means no copy and pasting!).
Now that you have some topics and ideas for what you want to blog about, you need a game plan. Half of knowing how to blog is having a strategy.
Calendars allow you to plan out when you’ll research, write, optimize, and post your blogs. You’re busy making your business awesome, so having a calendar allows you to schedule the time you need to blog.
Here are a few things to include on your calendar:
- Blog Post Title: This helps you keep everything organized and focused. Think about what you want to call the post before you actually write it. But, don’t be afraid to change and tweak it as you go.
- Synopsis: If you’re working ahead, you might forget what the 10 Everyday Uses for Hot Sauce are. The synopsis section of your calendar is where you can write down your ideas for the actual post.
- Writing Date: When are you going to write the post? Give yourself a deadline instead of leaving it up in the air. This will help you stay committed and focused.
- Uploading and Optimizing Date: After you write the post, you’ll have to upload and optimize it for search engines. It might be a good idea to give the post some time before you do this. After you write your post, wait a few days to edit it, then upload and optimize.
- Publishing Date: Keeping a publishing schedule will also help you stay on track with your blogging efforts. You want to keep as much consistency as possible when it comes to posting, so consider how often you’ll actually post a new blog.
Pen and paper
From writing notes to making edits, pen and paper will be your best friend. It’s easy to type words on your computer, but when you actually use a pen and a piece of paper, you’ll be forced to think about your words more carefully.
When researching for your post, jot down notes and thoughts you have. It’d be horrible to have a brilliant idea and not write it down. You may not remember it later on when you actually write the post.
If you write the post on a computer, consider printing it out and doing your editing with a pen. When reading your post on a computer, it’s easy to skip over words or miss minor details. Printing the document will help you get a better idea of what needs to be fixed.
There’s two main reasons Google Docs are so amazing:
1. They allow for easy access. Google Docs are saved on your Google Drive, if you have a Google account. The documents are very similar to a Word document except they are stored in the cloud, which means you can access them wherever you have an Internet connection. You can use your phone, tablet, or computer to access Google Docs.
2. They allow for easy collaboration. Another great feature of Google Docs is the ability to collaborate. Whether you’re working with an entire team or just want an extra pair of eyes for review, you can send the document to anyone with email access. They can edit the document and add comments.
How to Blog
Knowing how to blog comes down to knowing your business and knowing your industry. So long as you are providing quality content to readers, then you already know how to blog.
It can be intimidating to start, but the tools listed above will help as you dive into inbound marketing and expand your digital efforts.
Not sure how to get started when it comes to how to blog or practicing inbound marketing? Iconic Digital Agency can help you define a digital strategy to drive traffic to your website and generate leads.
Latest posts by Scott Blanton (see all)
- June Marketing Resources - June 20, 2017
- inX3: A Brand Story of Inspiration, Innovation, and Investment - June 14, 2017
- Fail Fest Branding, Website, and Creative Recap - June 7, 2017